Thursday 5 December 2013

The Wire

“Nah, yo, it ain’t like that. Look, the pawns, man, in the game, they get capped quick. They be out the game early.”

“Unless they some smart ass pawns.” 


I think I've been watching too much of The Wire lately. Clay Davis' "Sheee-it" is slowly becoming part of my regular conversation and I've said the f-word more times in the last two days that I have in the last two months. 
This is one of the shows I've been trying to finish watching over the holidays, but I'm only up to the fifth episode of Season Two, so I've got a bit more before I finish as there is still three and half more seasons to go. But I kind of don't want to watch it too quickly because I am absolutely loving it. There are some of my most loved actors in it, including Dominic West, who plays the main protagonist Jimmy McNulty, plus there is also Idris Elba who plays Stringer Bell. 


This show is considered one of the greatest of all time. So you can see why I simply had to watch it, and if you do decide to watch it too, here's a warning: the first couple of episodes you're not going to have a clue what's going on. This is a show where the creator wants you to work for it. It took me until about episode four in season one before I had any idea of what was really going on. Aside from just trying to understand the Baltimore accents and slang (you may need subtitles) you also have to deal with an amazing script which was planned out all five seasons from the very beginning, so it's a little confusing to begin with. But trust me on one thing, it's worth all the confusion and hard work. 

No comments:

Post a Comment