Tuesday 3 December 2013

Catching Fire: Part II

THIS POST IS NOT SPOILER-FREE

So I promised you all a while back another (spoiler-ish) post on Catching Fire. Sorry it's a little late and a little short but here are some of my thoughts about the film.

"Claflin makes a fantastic Finnick. From the moment he first approaches Katniss before the victor’s parade, chomping on a sugar cube in a scene lifted directly from the book, he nails Finnick’s blend of charisma and slight danger; even if you’ve read the books and know about the relationship the two will develop, you wonder right alongside Katniss if Finnick is worth trusting. He’s charming, he’s beautiful, he’s a little wicked, but he’s also devoted to Mags (Lynn Cohen), the elderly fellow tribute from District 4; director Francis Lawrence develops their relationship even deeper than the book does, giving Finnick a larger soft side— but never letting go of the idea that he might betray our heroes without a moment’s notice."
(Katey Rich, CinemaBlend.com)

The quote sums up exactly how I felt about Sam Claflin's Finnick, with my only problem being that he needed more humour. Just little lines, like how he is in the book. All they gave him was the sugar cube introduction and then was no more. I still absolutely adored him though, and I can't wait to see more of him in Mockingjay. Jena Malone as Johanna Mason was so good. I wish there was more of her, I loved every second she was in. Like Finnick, I can't wait to see her in Mockingjay, especially to see her relationship with Katniss to grow. I wasn't that keen on Mockingjay being in two parts, but lately I've become more positive about the idea, especially to see more of Johanna and Finnick especially. 



One thing that really bothered my once they were in the Quell is there was no mention Katniss' "pregnancy". In the book it is a massive part, and Finnick (as well as others later) is better able to protect her by reminding her that she's pregnant and she shouldn't be taking dangerous risks. It is a little unbelievable that they never mention it again. On the other hand I really like how they handled the "love triangle". Katniss' line to Gale that she didn't have time to think about anything but her family and keeping her life was needed in the film, especially when the media focuses on that more than anything else when the movie has such other deeper and more important issues. 

Haymitch in this movie was a highlight for me, and I never imagined I would say that. He has never been someone I would look forward to being in scenes but this movie totally changed my mind. Woody Harrelson is such an amazing actor, and the little bits he adds to scenes are so touching. The little looks he gives to Effie, the way he gives these small touches to Katniss, they all just made me heart melt and made me love Haymitch even more.

All in all, I 100% totally loved this movie and I can't wait to watch it a third time in the cinema. I would also like the DVD now, so I can just watch it over and over again. 

No comments:

Post a Comment