Monday 14 October 2013

Fringe Season Five

I owe Fringe a lot.
Before Fringe I absolutely hated anything labelled 'science fiction'. I wouldn't go near it. One night, around five years ago, when I was about sixteen years old, I was up very late one night and flicking through the channels looking for something good to watch. I came across something which interested me, but I had no idea how much of it I had already missed. It ended up going on for quite some time, so I figured that it was a movie. By the end I was on the edge of my seat, but when the credits suddenly started rolling, I was so confused. The cliff hanger was too much to be a movie, so it had to be a television series. After some googling I found that I had actually been watching the repeat of the first episode of a new sci-fi series called 'Fringe'.
I now owe Fringe my love of Sci Fi.



This show is very close to my heart. That is why, as usual, I stopped when I got afraid it was getting close to finishing (Just in case you don't know, Fringe ended earlier this year). I decided not to watch it, and to prolong Fringe for as long as I could hold out.
I have recently been watching Arrow and on one episode I was absolutely delighted to see Seth Gabel play "The Count". Gabel had been one of my favourite characters in Fringe (it's hard to put them in order but he would be extremely close to number one, if not one), called Lincoln Lee. This may sound so corny but seeing him made me remember how much I missed him, and I realised I had to finish the last season. I had to see how it ended, so I began it, Episode 1 of Season 5, at two in the morning.

I don't want to spoil too much but overall, Season Five was definitely not my favourite. I didn't really get the whole 'Observers' as evil storyline because for the past four seasons we've only really had September as an Observer and he was so lovely. I also never warmed to Etta, I understood why but I didn't like how she was so cold. I didn't like that there was none of the old cast like Broyles, Lincoln or Nina (yes, there were glimpses but not enough!) and I also didn't like that Olivia and Peter weren't as close as they had been.

After that little rant, I want to say that if you have watched the other four seasons of Fringe you will enjoy the fifth, it is a nice finishing point. I'm not sure if there will be anyone out there that has done what I have and watched four seasons and then stopped for some reason, but if there is some of you then this post is for you!


If you haven't watched any of Fringe, please give it a go. It really is quality television with fantastic actors on it (all the main cast are amazing) and a really great, in depth plot. Seriously though, I would like to emphasise how good the cast is. It's got Joshua Jackson who you would know as Pacey from Dawson's Creek, Australian actress Anna Torv who played Nikki in The Secret Life of Us, Australian actor John Noble who has been in everything from Home and Away to Lord of the Rings. That's just the main cast, along with that Lance Reddick was in The Wire and Leonard Nimoy played Spock in the original Star Trek series (and the latest movies too). That cast should be enough for anyone to start watching right now. Do it!

Let me know whether you watch Fringe or not and what you thought about the last season. I love hearing your thoughts! x

No comments:

Post a Comment