Saturday 3 August 2013

The World's End



What would you do if you came back to your hometown only to find everyone had transformed into robots? Finish the pub crawl of course!
This is why I love Simon Pegg films: it’s because they’re so crazy and unpredictable you always end up in stitches laughing. I will forever remember seeing my first Pegg film “Hot Fuzz” in the cinema when I was about fifteen. Jess and I couldn’t stop laughing, and then we were screaming, and the whole time I was thinking just what kind of movie was this? There are far too little sci-fi comedies.
llenge that they had attempted when they were younger but never managed to actually finish. Returning to their old town they find it has become inhabited by “robots”.


At World’s End is about a group of men going back to their hometown to finally complete the “Golden Mile” Pub crawl cha




Surprisingly, this movie has a lot of serious undertones to it. Pegg’s last speech to the robots reminded me a lot of the one Nathan Young (played by Robert Sheehan) makes in the final episode of Season One of Misfits on the rooftop: “we were so beautiful!”
I felt the beginning got off to a slow start, and there weren't too many laugh out loud moments, but I found myself getting into the film much more once they had actually realised something was wrong with the town. The ending is a bit weird too (but I loved the end to Martin Freeman’s storyline, I personally thought that was the best part), and I never actually found myself taking a liking to any of the characters very much.
It’s got a stellar cast though, with people like Pierce Brosnan and Bill Nighy making appearances, along with Rosmund Pike (who has been confirmed to play Amy Dunne in David Fincher’s Gone Girl), Martin Freeman and David Bradley (who has been popping up everywhere lately, from Broadchurch to Game of Thrones). 
I definitely recommend this film for those looking for a good laugh with nothing better to do on a Friday night (don’t cancel your plans or anything) or if you've seen the other two in the so-called "Cornetto Trilogy" (Shaun of the Dead and Hot Fuzz are the other two) then you should definitely finish it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment