Wednesday 24 July 2013

The Impossible


14 hour flights suck. 
This is not a new discovery of mine, having done six of them in the past three years. However, the one I just got back from has to be one of the worst of all time. It had everything: bad food, crying babies and I was separated from my friend so I was sitting next to two strangers. On top of all this I just couldn't pick what I wanted to watch. I had resorted to watching my two favourite scenes in Skyfall over and over again, which must have confused the two strangers sitting next to me greatly. You know when you can just feel the tears welling up? I was at that point, and so I turned off the Ben Whishaw scene in Skyfall and flicked through the movies trying to decide which one would be the saddest. I found The Impossible. 

source: kubrickit

Now I don't know whether it was the fact that I was on one of the worst flights ever and the complete lack of sleep, but I sobbed the whole way through this movie. 
The whole cast of this amazing movie is absolutely perfect. After seeing this, my doubts about Jennifer Lawrence winning the Oscar for Best Actress spring up again. Naomi Watts is just too good. Ewan McGregor as well, although I felt like you didn't get to see him as much as everyone else. Even the little boys were so perfect I was crying.
The heartbreaking thing about this movie is that it's a true story and it's just one story of the thousands that occurred because of the tsunami in Indonesia Boxing Day 2004, and you get glimpses of those how those stories end throughout the movie. 

I give this movie a nine out of ten and would highly recommend it to anyone. 

No comments:

Post a Comment