Monday 22 July 2013

The Heat

"Do you wanna go and see a movie tonight?"

source: the collider
I literally ask my family this weekly. It never happens. For some reason this week, it did.
I wanted to go and see Man of Steel, mainly because my trip to Europe has meant that I've totally missed out on seeing it so far. But no, my mum had requirements. If we were going to see a movie, she wanted to go and see The Heat. Yeah, not really the one I had in mind.
You know me though, I won't say no to a movie, especially if someone else is paying (which it turns out, she wasn't, but she did pay for the popcorn so that was alright).
I little to no expectations for this movie. I had seen the trailer so many times and thought (like so many films these days) that I had seen all the funny bits. I was so wrong! My brother (who is eighteen)  tagged along too and he was laughing a lot as well. It works for a lot of different ages as there are plenty of jokes for everyone.


source: red carpet fashion awards

Plus I'm loving that it's two women, Sandra Bullock and Melissa McCarthy, who are doing a classic cop comedy. It totally passes The Bechedel Test, which we really shouldn't still have to be congratulating films for doing that any more, but for some strange reason, here we are. One review I read stated: "The Heat isn't a hilarious buddy-cop flick with women. It's a hilarious buddy-cop flick, period. It's also the funniest film I've seen all year." 

This movie gets a six out of ten. Although it's laugh-out-loud funny and totally passed my expectations, the plot line is a bit of a disaster and quite predictable.

No comments:

Post a Comment