Monday 22 April 2013

And Now His Watch Has Ended


Hei hei, 

How are you guys? I've had a very long day at work today but came home to catch up on Doctor Who from yesterday, and Game of Thrones that came out this morning (in Australia). A great way to end the day if you ask me. 

This is just going to be a quick post about some of things I thought about the latest Game of Thrones episode "And Now His Watch Has Ended". If you haven't watched it yet (why are you here?) don't read this because this is all spoilers or you won't really understand what I'm talking about. Also, this is basically just a rambling post and I'm writing this at nearly two in the morning so you'll just have to excuse me today. 

Source: fygot

  • How cute are Jaime and Brienne?! They just have the most adorable friendship, and although this is my least favourite part of their little adventure to Kings Landing, I still absolutely loved it. 
  • I thought the silence from Jaime after Brienne asked him why he saved her and told them the lie about the Sapphire Isles was very beautiful, and more telling than anything Jaime could have replied. Plus, the fact that he starts eating again after her little speech just hits me right in the heart.
  • I did not like her comment "you're acting like a bloody woman". I am thinking, however, that perhaps Brienne said it because she was trying to use things she thought Jaime would relate to and understand, and  saying that would help Jaime to see he was being ridiculous. Not because it was something she herself really believed women were like. At least I'm hoping this is what the writers meant. 
  • What was with the story from Varys? Yes, very interesting and it's a good backstory for him. Yes, good on you Varys for finally being able to get revenge. But do I care? No, not really. We could have had Robb in the episode during that time. I would have appreciated that much more. 
  • It's like the Pod story from last week (which unfortunately continued again this week, if only for a little tiny bit when Varys is talking to Ros - whom I like very much). Do I care about Pod and his amazing sex life? No, not at all. Why do we have to waste time with this? Will we find out what Pod really did? I don't really care. I would actually prefer not to because it's just wasting more valuable actual POV character time. 
  • LOVED the Margaery/Joffrey scene. I thought that was brilliantly done. Especially when you put it together with the Olenna/Varys scene and add the Margaery/Sansa scene. Tyrell's have the power. 

Source: fygot
  • I do NOT like how they have paired Sansa and Loras. I knew this would happen. I understand why they did it, because it saves some time and doesn't add another character (Willas Tyrell). Just like they cut the middle man Ser Dontos and have made it only Littlefinger. I understand why they do it. But I don't understand why they got to all that trouble only to add scenes like the Pod and Varys ones I've just ranted about. They are picking the wrong things to cut and add and it really frustrates me. Loras is meant to be a Knight of the Kingsguard and therefore cannot marry Sansa. I know they haven't said this in the television series, but really? They can't add this in but we can have Olenna going on and on about how "Growing Strong" is the worst house motto for like five minutes? Funny, yes. As is the Pod story. It is also unnecessary. 
  • Interesting little flashback scenes they are doing with Bran. A couple of weeks ago it was Robb and Jon and now it's Catelyn. I actually hope we get to see more of these, it makes Bran's storyline a bit more enjoyable. Otherwise it's just Jojen being really cryptic and weird. 
  • Great scene with the Hound and Arya. So looking forward to next week to see the actual fight with Dondarrion. I'm also interested to see how it plays out because I remember being a little confused with the details of that part in the book. Hopefully it clears that all up. 
  • I CANNOT TALK ABOUT THEON. I'm tearing up again just thinking about it. All I have to say is this: "My real father lost his head at Kings Landing". 
  • And also Alfie Allen and Iwan Rheon are amazing actors. 

Alfie Allen
  • I had totally forgot about that whole Night's Watch scene. I remember now reading the book and just being totally shocked and couldn't put the book down during that chapter. This scene was just as good, and took me totally by surprise. 
  • Burn Goodman. Who is he meant to be? Is he an actual character or is he just there for a filler type character? I love him as an actor. I mean how can you hate someone who has been in both The Hour and The Dark Knight Rises? But who exactly is he? 
  • No Robb or Talisa. However the preview for next week looks promising. 
  • Daenerys' scene was absolutely perfect. I think this is my favourite of her scenes ever. It's up there with the one where Viserys is "crowned in gold" in Season 1 and the House of the Undying in Season 2. I think it might just beat them both. 
  • Seriously though, she was perfect. I loved that no one else spoke during the epic scene either. There was a little from Missandei and Kraznys but other than that it is solely Daenerys. It's a real "you go girl" moment.
  • Overall I cannot believe that we are half way through the season. Unbelievable. It's going too quickly!
  • I think this is the best episode yet, however, there will definitely be better as this show is improving with every episode. Although I've been quite negative with some of my thoughts, I love this show with all my heart and I'm only so hard on it because I have such strong feelings for it. 
Hope you all enjoyed the episode too, and I'd love to hear what you thought in the comments :)

Now time for bed! 

1 comment:

  1. "My real father lost his head at Kings Landing"....Who decided that was a good idea?? It caused me physical pain. That bastard Ramsay looked so gleeful when he lead Theon back to be tortured.

    Great review! Agree with everything you said! Especially re Sansa/Loras, the unnecessary Pod scene, and the development of the Tyrell power. Can't wait for next week!

    ReplyDelete