Tuesday 23 April 2013

But It's A Classic, Right?

He's so handsome. Just like his reward posters. 
Source: Daily Classic Disney

The other day I was messaging Sara about what movie we should watch on our upcoming "Pop Tarts and Movie Night". We had both excitedly agreed that it should be a Disney classic. She asked me what I had in my Disney DVD collection and I replied "Robin Hood" because I really felt like watching it again. Basically she said no, which was fine, but I sent back something like: "whatever, cool foxes aren't for everyone" because I was trying to be funny, but I was really just being lame. She didn't reply for ages which I just assumed was because she thought my joke was horrible (which it was), however the next day she sent me a message saying "Foxes? Isn't Robin Hood a man?" I literally could not stop laughing, she must have been so confused by my "cool foxes" message.

Source: Daily Classic Disney

Then I got to thinking. Why didn't Sara understand the my (terrible) joke? Had she not seen Disney's version of Robin Hood? So the next day at work I asked her and she said that she had never even heard of Disney's version before I had sent her that message. I was shocked. Robin Hood was one of my favourites. I paid forty dollars for it when it was released from the vault a few years ago. That's how much I loved it. I won't even pay $38 for Cinderella now, and I'm earning more than I was back then. So then I was worried, if Sara hadn't heard of it, who else was missing out on the amazing-ness of Robin Hood? I asked a few more of my colleagues. Out of the four others that I asked, all around my age, only one knew what I was talking about. So now here I am: spreading the word.

Source: Daily Classic Disney

Disney's Robin Hood is definitely a classic. I believe this is for one main reason: it's hilarious. I honestly think this is one of the funniest classic Disney movies there is. It's definitely up there, along with Aladdin, for sure. Can you think of any others? Let me know in the comments if you can! I would also mention Toy Story but I'm almost 100% sure that's a Pixar film and not Disney, although I'm totally confused by the whole Disney-Pixar Studios thing now. Todays post isn't really a review of Robin Hood, more just a note to let you know it exists and that you should watch it. If you haven't seen it, you're missing a little piece of your childhood.

Watching it has made me want to re-watch all my old favourites and add to my collection of Disney movies. Right now I'm trying to find a copy of Peter Pan on ebay, and I'm thinking about renting The Sword in the Stone this weekend. What are you favourite Disney classics?

No comments:

Post a Comment