Saturday 16 February 2013

Star Trek


Okay, so I have a confession to make: I never would have seen Star Trek if Benedict Cumberbatch hadn't been in the sequel. It's my life mission to see all of BC's movies, and so he sort of forced my hand with appearing as the villain of it's sequel Star Trek: Into Darkness, didn't he?


I tend to do this with a lot of things in my life, not just films and television. I'll judge something massively before I've even had a chance to look into it. One of my friends recently observed that everything in my eyes was guilty until proven innocent. I have to stop doing that. One example (that does happen to be a television series) is that I used to HATE (see how I've not only capitalised it but also underlined and bolded it?) Doctor Who. I had an argument with one of my friends boyfriends over it when I was seventeen. He had just unsuspectingly stated that he enjoyed watching it, totally unaware that he'd walked into a minefield. How could he? How dare he? He couldn't understand how I could judge something so hard without having seen an episode. I couldn't understand how he could be such a dickhead as to watch a stupid sci-fi show about some crazy doctor in space. 
Now it's not only one of my favourite shows on television, but my actual favourite show of all time. 
Harry, if you're reading this, I'm sorry. 



That's not to say Star Trek is now my favourite movie of all time. However, it's definitely changed my opinion. I found it fast-paced, funny and was perfect for someone with absolutely no understanding of the Star Trek world/universe. Chris Pine worked well as James Kirk, although I feel he always plays the same characters. The last movie I saw him in, This Means War (2012), he played FDR, a secret agent who is pretty much Kirk with a different name. That same confident intelligence, self assured, always on the lookout, good looking guy who is charming with the ladies but still has something to prove. I love Zachary Quinto as Spock. It would be hard to play someone who is meant to have show no emotions, but actually does feel a lot beneath the surface. I think he pulled it off wonderfully, and I want to see him in more films soon. I also love it when films have a great minor cast too. Hello Chris Hemsworth, Winona Ryder and Simon Pegg. If I hadn't IMDB'd the movie before I saw it, I never would have known Nero was played by Eric Banner, but it was great to see him too. My biggest love casting wise was Leonard Nimoy as the future, older Spock. I'm sure all of you know this already but Nimoy was the first Spock and I think it's a perfect nod to the original. Nimoy also plays William Bell in Fringe (2009), and anyone in Fringe is loved by me. 



Star Trek: Into Darkness is due in Australian cinemas on the 16th of May. Will you be seeing it? Is there a movie or television series you've judged before watching it? 

No comments:

Post a Comment