Sunday 10 March 2013

The (not so) Great and Powerful


So I've just come back from seeing Oz. 
I wasn't too keen on seeing it, to be honest. I had started out excited, when I had originally heard that they were making the movie and who had been cast (James Franco, Mila Kunis, Michelle Williams and Rachel Weisz). However, my hopes were dashed when the trailer came out. It could have been so much more. 
I had low expectations, and they were met. The visual effects were really beautiful and quite stunning, but not when it came to the Wicked Witch, I thought something was a little messed up there. She just didn't look quite right. I'm happy I saw it in 3D though, and I hardly ever say that! 



Mila Kunis was great in some parts but then over acted in others, and her whole story line was quite predictable. Michelle Williams was far better than I thought she was going to be, because I usually can't stand those goody goody characters. However, Williams acting was superb and so she ended up being one of my favourite characters in the movie. James Franco, well, continues to disappoint. He frustrates me so much lately, I just know he could be doing so much more and be so much better. Where is the guy from Howl and from Milk? Bring him back. However, that said, I think anyone who had played the role of Oz would have annoyed me. 80% of the problem I have with the movie was the script. Why do they have to be so predictably boring? Have the same stupid lines that is just so cliche? Do people still fall for those lines anymore? Argh!
Rachel Weisz was the best part of the movie (apart from the bit with the monkey who "moos" - it was the most stupid bit, and sadly, the funniest). Like Williams, her acting was so superb you almost forget the terrible lines that she had to work with. 
Both Weisz and Williams were above this movie, it amazes me that they accepted the parts. 
The rating I give it is my own personal opinion, but I'm sure that if I was rating it for a lower age group, then it would have been a higher rating. I'm sure younger audiences would get a thrill out of it. 

I give it 5 and a half (maybe a six) out of ten. 

No comments:

Post a Comment