Thursday 14 February 2013

The Carrie Diaries


I'm so annoyed! Where was this show when I was sixteen? Why did I have to be born in the early nineties? 
I was far too young for Sex & the City when that was out, and now I feel a little too old for The Carrie Diaries. Why can't I win with Bradshaw? That said, despite the horrible timing of both shows, I have seen every episode of SATC and definitely plan to with TCD after watching the pilot last night. 



So I'm a little late to jump onto this one, as I think there are about eight episodes out at the moment, but knowing me, it won't take me long to catch up. Last night I wasn't in the greatest mood (another Valentine's alone) and I thought a brand new show would cheer me up. One of my older friends at work had commented that I would love TCD, and that even though she was in her early forties, and a die hard SATC fan, she was thoroughly enjoying it. So I gave it a go, and I'm still so glad I did. By the end of the first twenty minutes my mood had changed dramatically. It's one of those uplifting, colourful, lots of fun shows that are good to watch to relax and unwind, totally unlike Homeland which I am currently in two episodes into the first season, and struggling to motivate myself to start the next episode. 

Although I did thoroughly enjoy it, I'm definitely not its target audience, which I would place around the same age as Carrie, who is sixteen and living in the early eighties. It hardly matters though, if you are a little older and go into with the right expectations, I'm sure you will enjoy it just as my work friend and I are. It's got a fantastic, boppy soundtrack (can anyone resist a little Madonna?) and excellent, vibrant, eighties feel costumes that make me want to trawl through the internet looking for exact copies.  

I'm giving the first episode a 7 out of 10 because I feel there is definitely potential for the series to blossom into something truly great, and I'm excited to see where they take it. I'll definitely be writing more on this show, and soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment